THE PRESERVATION FOUR
Because of the enthusiasm, personal commitment and hard earned dollars of these four men, the depot that we enjoy today was acquired in 2001. We are deeply indebted to each of them. Thank you.
Jim Bedford served as the Committee's first vice-president, and as the Committee's president up until his passing in 2016. Jim worked as a conductor for the Rock Island Line until the railroad discontinued operations. After his retiring as a conductor, he and his wife, Martha, entered community service with area organizations. Jimmie continued to serve on the Eldon Depot Committee board of directors until his death in 2016.
Richard Hemm currently serves as president of the Board of Directors. He started working for the Rock Island on October 28, 1958. He worked his way up to engineer and worked for the Rock Island until it closed in 1980. He then worked for the Milwaukee, the Soo Line and the Canadian Pacific. His railroading career was cut short when he was involved in a train derailment in the train yard at Muscatine, Iowa.
Steve Roe served as secretary of the Eldon Depot Committee from its inception in 2001. Steve worked for the Rock Island as an engineer and later retired from the Union Pacific Railroad in Dalhart, Texas. He played a leading role in the acquisition and restoration of the depot and its museum artifacts until his death in 2012.
Don Eakins worked on the Rock Island Railroad as a brakeman and conductor until the railroad was abandoned in March of 1980.